The Great American Brass Band Festival
The height of summer in Danville, Ky., will bring with it the smooth, sultry notes of American jazz, celebrating a golden age of music at this year’s Great American Brass Band Festival.
The festival pays tribute to brass in American jazz with a star-studded lineup of jazz and brass bands. Airmen of Note, a Glenn-Miller-style military ensemble, is the headlining band as well as Rhythm & Brass, a brass band covering a diverse cross sections of jazz influenced brass music and New Orleans jazz bands Storyville Stompers and Lagniappe Brass Band will be serving up their own blend of spicy Southern soul during a weekend of continuous live concerts.
“We’re really excited to bring jazz music to the forefront of this year’s festival,” says Great American Brass Band Festival Executive Director Niki Kinkade. “Brass music is such a huge part of what gives jazz its iconic sound—our festival is the perfect opportunity to showcase that connection.”
The festival spans an entire weekend, pulling out all the stops to entertain visitors with a New Orleans-style block party, Main Street parade, daylong picnic concert, hot air balloon race, yoga in the park, luncheon concert featuring BBQ and brass, community swing dance and more.
“It’s a weekend where there’s something for everyone to enjoy,” Kinkade explains. “Families have fun with the instrument petting zoo and children’s activities on Centre’s campus; young people love our Bayou and Brass block party and the late night concerts; and everyone enjoys the picnic, where the best of the best in brass entertains under the stars.
“It really is a one-of-a-kind weekend,” she adds. “The festival connects people of all ages
- Airmen of Note, Washington, D.C.
- 202nd Army Band, Frankfort, KY
- Advocate Brass Band, Danville, KY
- All Stars Brass and Percussion Youth Band, Canal Winchester, OH
- Circle City Sidewalk Stompers, Indianapolis, IN
- DOJO, Lexington, KY
- Raleigh Trio, Lexington, KY
- Household Troops Band of the Salvation Army, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Lagniappe Brass Band, New Orleans, LA
- Oakland University Brass Band, Rochester, MI
- Rhythm & Brass, United States
- Saxton’s Cornet Band, Kentucky
- Storyville Stompers, New Orleans, LA
- Townbranch Five Plus Two, Lexington, KY
- U.S. Fleet Forces Band, Norfolk, VA
- Al Hood, Aurora, CO
- Rex Richardson, VA
- Wycliffe Gordon, Lexington, KY
For more information visit http://www.gabbf.org