Celebrate an Italian holiday tradition in a new way at the Feast of Seven Fishes at AZUR Restaurant & Patio Wednesday, Dec. 17, at 7 p.m. to benefit St. Mark Roman Catholic Church in Richmond.
The family-style southern Italian meal, originated by Roman Catholics in observance of “The Vigil” as they awaited the birth of Jesus, consists of seven meat-free courses. Chef Jeremy Ashby will serve the seafood spread to communal tables on shared platters the classic Italian way. Time-honored elements like simple pasta, hearty fish courses and sweet desserts highlight the grand meal.
“In a season full of braised meats and roasted birds, I want to celebrate the bounty of the sea,” said Ashby. “I welcome diners unfamiliar with this classic meal to loosen their belts and embrace the Feast of Seven Fishes as a new holiday tradition.”
The Feast of Seven Fishes menu includes:
- Fried calamari with chickpeas, tomatoes, raisins, pine nuts, basil and roasted peppers
- Garlic-marinated shrimp and mussels salad with celery, mint, lemon and olive oil
- Linguine with clams, parsley, lemon and garlic
- Risotto with lobster, tomatoes, saffron and Madeira
- Fluke crudo with citrus, white balsamic and fava beans
- Squid ink pasta with salt cod, ‘nduja sausage, scallion and jalapeno
- Roasted snapper with olives, capers, marinara, white wine and potatoes
- Broccolini with burrata and slow-roasted garlic
- Frozen chocolate meringata
- Ricotta, honey and raspberry fritters
The cost is $65 per person, plus tax and gratuity, with an option to add Chianti wine pairings for $20.95. AZUR will donate $10 from every meal to the church.
For more information or to make reservations, call 859-296-1007.