Italian Wine Dinner in the English Grill
Explore Italy’s diverse wine culture in the English Grill Thursday, Aug. 18 at 6:30 p.m. Sommelier Troy Ritchie will pair wine from regions around the Italian peninsula with a four-course meal at the special dining event. From Piedmont in the north to Campania in the south, Ritchie and Vias Imports’ Rudy Basile will showcase the finest of four regions alongside classic dishes like cioppino and Bolognese crafted by chef de cuisine Andrew Welenken.
The cost is $65 per person and includes a wine pairing for each course.
“Italy produces more wine than any other country in the world and the variety is incredibly broad,” said Ritchie. “I hope this will be the first of many educational dining events where I help enthusiasts explore new flavors, regions and varietals to understand and appreciate great wines from around the world.”
Born in Pescara, Italy, Basile moved to the United States at a young age but returned for summers in Italy growing up. For more than 20 years, he’s been dedicated to sharing the life and culture of his homeland in the wine and hospitality industries. Ritchie is a certified sommelier with more than two decades’ experience in hospitality. He hand-selected the wine pairings for this event from Vias Imports Ltd., who provide a comprehensive wine portfolio that embodies the distinct terrain and character of each Italian region.
The Italian wine dinner menu includes:
Melon shooter with prosciutto and basil oil
Bisol Jeio Prosecco Brut (Veneto, Italy)
- Buffalo mozzarella arancini with crudités salad, confit tomato aioli and heirloom tomato crudités
- Terredora di Paolo Falanghina Irpinia (Campania, Italy)
- Cioppino with scallop, shrimp and clams in tomato, bacon and saffron broth with polenta
- Pecchenino Dogliani San Luigi Dolcetto (Piedmont, Italy)
- Bolognese with braised short ribs, fresh pappardelle and Grana Padano
- Colpetrone Sagrantino di Montefalco (Umbria, Italy)
- Raspberry bavarois with citrus gelee and bourbon caramel tuile
- Araldica Brachetto d’Acqui Dolce Spumante (Piedmont, Italy)
For more information or to make reservations call 502-583-1234 or visit brownhotel.com