Mountain Mushroom Festival and KY Agate, Gem, Mineral & Fossil Show
The Mountain Mushroom Festival is a celebration of the Appalachian culture: the morel mushroom, KY agate (state rock of Kentucky), arts and crafts, Daniel Boone National Forest, Kentucky River, and mountains. The festival’s mission is to share the cultural heritage and traditions of our community and support area groups (mushroom hunters, agate hunters, local crafters, artisans, and civic organizations) and businesses to foster community pride and stimulate economic development. A local volunteer committee partners with the community to present a variety of activities and provide educational opportunities. The festival provides a weekend of free activities and entertainment for everyone.
- Mushroom theme activities include a morel market with morels for sale brought by the local hunters.
- The availability is dependent on the amount that the local hunters bring to the mushroom tent. Even when a late spring or dry spell makes morels scarce, morels can be tasted after the cooking demonstrations. Other activities include prize money for most mushrooms and largest, educational panels on mushroom hunting, interviews with hunters on the narrative stage, morel mascot, natural habitat terrarium for displaying the native morel, morel/shiitake/oyster cooking demonstrations, mushroom cook-off, shiitake log inoculation demonstrations, window decorating contest, fungus 5K & 2K run/walk, parade, Miss Mushroom Pageant, and sale of festival souvenirs (t-shirts, hats).
- Agate activities include agate hunts in the creeks of Estill County and a KY Agate, Gem, Mineral, and Fossil Show. The show features KY agates, gems, minerals, fossils, and rock displays, and vendors selling everything from agates to rocks to jewelry.
- Arts and crafts are promoted through vendor booths, heritage craft demonstrations, quilt trail display, bicentennial train display, and Student Art Show.
- Heritage activities include a Speedy Spore River Run (6 & 12 mile canoe/kayak races on Kentucky River, Estill County Historical Society Museum, Fitchburg Furnace display, and flintknapper demonstrations.
- Grandstand Entertainment on the stage will include a school jump rope team, cloggers, gymnastics team, and a variety of groups performing different genres of music.
- Other activities will include a Car Show, Antique Gas Engine & Tractor Show, Oleika Shriners train, health screenings, vision screenings, food court, games, Photography Contest display, Window Decorating displays, and inflatables.
Admission to the festival is free. All events are open to the public and handicapped accessible. No pets please.
For more information call 606-723-1233 or visit mountainmushroomfestival.org