With mere tenths of a point separating the grand prize-winning recipe from the second- and third-place finishers, Kentucky Monthly’s fourth annual recipe contest was an out-and-out clash of the foodies. Culinary-minded readers whipped up some seriously tasty competition, creating a delicious dilemma for this year’s team of judges. Our testers and tasters—including professional and student chefs, one of Southern Living’s “Cooks of the South,” the 2012 Reader Recipe Contest champion, and a few everyday eaters—lip-smacked their way through 18 dishes to award the ultimate victor.
The spoils of this food war were well worth fighting for. Our grand prize winner is rewarded with a Bracken County bed-and-breakfast trip courtesy of Baker-Bird Winery, the oldest commercial estate winery in America, and a tasty tour of Lexington eateries from Bleu Plate Tours. Each category winner receives a Kentucky Cooking gift set, which includes the cookbook Seasoned Cooking of Kentucky: A Collection of Kentucky Monthly Recipes and an artist-handcrafted item from Studio 300.
And the winners are ...
- Espresso-Rubbed Strip Steaks with a Cherry Balsamic Reduction submitted by Kimberly Fister Mesch of Lexington
- Chutney Beef Balls submitted by Philip Blades of Lexington
- Cathy’s Roasted Corn Edamame Salad submitted by Cathy McCarty Hendrix of Louisville
- Shrimp Ragout submitted by Peggy Calhoon of Greensburg
- Cindi Jo’s Carrot Cake Roll with Bourbon-Infused Cream Cheese submitted by Cindi Carman formerly of Jefferson County
- Kentucky Bourbon Barbecue and Beer Cheese Pizza submitted by Brandi Frisby of Lexington
- Fiesta Torte submitted by Vickie Elswick of Greenup
- Hog Jowl “BLT” submitted by Susan Caldwell of Fulton
- Blueberry Rhubarb Angelica submitted by Mary Popham of Louisville
For all the delicious winning recipes, pick up the May 2013 issue, available on newsstands and HERE