FINALIST, Submitted by Denise Scaringi // Lakeside Park
“As the owner of Lavender Hills of Kentucky, I enjoy developing new recipes to use this beautiful culinary herb. This is one of my latest. I love our strawberry lavender jam, and I know that lavender and lemon are complementary flavors. I combined all those flavors, and it turned out great! ”
1 cup warm water
2 packets yeast (4 teaspoons)
3/4 cup Lavender Hills of Kentucky lavender sugar
1 stick butter, softened
4 cups Weisenberger bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound frozen strawberries, thawed
1⁄3 cup Lavender Hills of Kentucky strawberry lavender jam
4 ounces cream cheese
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 c up half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon Lavender Hills of Kentucky culinary lavender buds, crushed
1. In a glass measuring cup, combine warm water and yeast. Stir to combine and set aside till foamy.
2. In a stand mixer, add eggs and beat them. Add lavender sugar, butter and yeast water. Add 2 cups of flour and beat on low. When most of the flour has been incorporated, add the salt and remaining two cups of flour. Knead on low.
3. Turn out dough into a greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 90 minutes. Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll out into a half-inch-thick rectangle.
4. In a mixing bowl, add strawberries and jam. Use a pastry cutter to combine and mash the berries. Spread the berry mixture over the dough. Carefully roll up into a log shape.
5. Slice the log into 1 1/2-inch slices. Place them in a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Let rise for another 15-20 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
7. To prepare the icing, beat together the cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Add the half-and-half, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest and lavender until combined. Spread over warm rolls and serve.