basic cream pie
If you know me, you are probably aware of my love for chocolate and all things dessert! Thanksgiving would not being complete without a piece of my granny’s chocolate pie. I even sneak a piece before everyone goes through the line and put it at my seat to make sure I have some to enjoy after dinner. -Lindsey, director of retail sales
Basic Cream Pie
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
3 eggs, separated
1½ cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pie shell, baked
1. Mix together sugar, flour and egg yolks.
2. Add milk gradually. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat.
3. Add butter and vanilla.
4. Allow mixture to cool and then spoon into pie shell.
5. Spoon meringue on top of cream filling.
6. Bake at 325 degrees until meringue is golden brown.
3 egg whites
5 tablespoons sugar
1. Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually adding the sugar while beating.
For chocolate cream pie: add 3 tablespoons cocoa with the flour.
For butterscotch: add ½ cup brown sugar and ½ cup white sugar.
For coconut: add 1 cup coconut before cooling.