2014 Reader Recipe Contest Winner of the Dessert Category
Submitted by Betty Mae Hodges of London
3 cups sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup margarine
1 cup regular-flavored Crisco
21⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons lemon flavoring
2 large lemons
1-2 pounds powdered sugar
- Do not preheat oven. Spray an angel-food cake pan with a nonstick baking spray containing flour.
- Cream sugar, salt, eggs, margarine and Crisco in a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Beating at a low speed, add flour and milk alternately to a smooth consistency. Add lemon flavoring and continue mixing for one minute.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Place in cold oven. Set oven temperature at 325 degrees and bake for one hour and 25 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before removing from pan. Invert cool cake onto a large cake plate.
- Zest the two lemons and set zest aside.
- Mix the juice from the lemons with powdered sugar to a desired consistency and amount. Icing may be sparingly or heavily drizzled over the cake based on preference.
- Sprinkle the lemon zest over the icing.