PREP TIME: 20 Minutes COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
2 cups cushaw squash, cooked and mashed
¼ cup butter, softened
¼ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 9-inch graham cracker pie shell
1. To prepare squash: Wash and remove rind. Cut flesh into 1-inch squares.
2. Steam squash cubes until tender. Drain and mash.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. In a large bowl, mix together the cushaw, butter and sugars.
5. Add eggs, lemon extract, vanilla extract, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix until smooth.
6. Pour mixture into pie shell.
7. Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
8. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake pie for an additional 45 minutes or until filling sets.
Recipe courtesy of Plate It Up, a statewide initiative of the University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service and Kentucky Department of Agriculture.
Copyright 2011 for materials developed by University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension. This publication may be reproduced in portions or its entirety for educational and nonprofit purposes only. Permitted users shall give credit to the author(s) and include this copyright notice.