2013 Recipe Contest Grand Prize Winner
Submitted by Kimberly Fister Mesch of Lexington
2 tablespoons dry espresso powder
11⁄2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 15-ounce can dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup
1 shallot, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
1⁄3 cup brown sugar
6 8-ounce New York strip steaks, 11⁄4-inch thick
1. In a small dish, mix the espresso powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle mixture onto the steaks, gently patting the seasoning into the steaks.
2. Place the cherries and syrup in a food processor. Add the chopped shallot, garlic, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar; process until smooth.
3. Brush the steaks with the cherry balsamic mixture, reserving some of the mixture to make a reduction sauce (below).
4. To make the cherry balsamic reduction: Place the remaining cherry mixture in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the mixture reduces and thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
5. Brush olive oil on the grill grates. Preheat grill to a medium-high heat.
6. Grill steaks for 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. Serve with the cherry balsamic reduction.