Photo by Jesse Hendrix-Inman; styled by Stu Plush
Give your day a bright beginning with these healthy and easy-to-prepare breakfast bars from Janine Washle of CloverFields Farm & Kitchen. No oven necessary!
2 tablespoons coconut oil
21⁄2 cups crisp rice cereal
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
3⁄4 cup dried, tart cherries, chopped
1⁄2 cup millet or whole sesame seeds
1⁄4 cup ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder, optional
1 cup almond butter
2⁄3 cup honey
3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking pan by applying a light coating of coconut oil to the bottom and 1 inch up the sides to prevent bars from sticking. Set aside.
- Combine the rice cereal, oats, cherries, millet or sesame seeds, flaxseed and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the almond butter, honey and coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Stir in almond extract.
- Pour almond butter mixture over cereal mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until everything is coated. Press mixture firmly into prepared pan using a large piece of plastic wrap—really compress it.
- Place pan in refrigerator for an hour to firm, and then cut into 18 bars. Wrap bars tightly in plastic wrap and place in a lidded container to prevent refrigerator odors from permeating. Bars can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-6 weeks.
Note: Only use dried fruits, nuts and seeds. Switch out the fruit and seeds as you like, or replace the almond butter with a different nut butter. Some suggestions are raisins, oats and pecans; apricots and coconut; cocoa nibs and strawberries.