Pumpkin roll is something my mom has always made to take to holiday get-togethers around Thanksgiving and Christmastime. I don’t usually like nuts, but I eat this anyway because it’s so good. (Also, my mom won’t leave out the nuts since they’re one of her favorite parts of the recipe). I like to help her make a pumpkin roll so that I can eat the leftover filling. :) My dad and I are really good at that part …
-Rebecca, graphic artist
Pumpkin Roll with Nutmeg Sauce
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2-3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice.
2. Mix together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Fold into pumpkin mixture.
3. Spread into a greased and floured 15x10x1-inch pan. Sprinkle with nuts. 4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn out on a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.
5. Starting at a narrow end, roll towel and cake together and let cool completely.
6. Unroll, spread filling over cake, and then re-roll.
7. Chill before topping with nutmeg sauce.
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine cream cheese and butter until smooth.
2. Add powdered sugar, mixing until well blended.
3. Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1. Combine sugar, flour and nutmeg in a 2-quart saucepan. Add water and stir while heating to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vinegar.
4. Serve hot over pumpkin roll.