tomato and zucchini pizza
Raid your garden and then prepare this easy and delicious pizza that highlights the fresh flavors of summertime. Recipe courtesy of Elizabeth Blessing, co-founder and chief nutritionist of Green B.E.A.N., an online service that delivers produce and artisan products directly to your doorstep.
1 premade pizza dough
3 small zucchinis or summer squashes, thinly sliced into rounds
Olive oil, plus extra virgin olive oil for topping
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 Roma tomatoes or 1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
4 basil leaves, torn into small pieces
2 ounces mozzarella, thinly sliced
2 ounces goat cheese or feta, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 500°. Roll or stretch dough into a 10-inch circle. Place it on a floured pizza pan and let it rest for 10 minutes.
2. Sauté the zucchini or summer squash in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until tender and beginning to color, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Slice the tomatoes—Roma into rounds, cherry into halves—and toss them with the garlic, a little olive oil, ground pepper and half the basil.
4. Distribute the mozzarella and zucchini or summer squash over the dough, and then add the tomatoes.
5. Bake in the pan or on a pizza stone for 5 minutes, then add the goat cheese or feta and bake 3 minutes more.
6. Remove the pizza, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with the rest of the basil leaves.