Photo by Jesse Hendrix-Inman
Pumpkin gets the elegant treatment in this delicious, white tablecloth-worthy dish by Brigitte Nguyen of The Kentucky Proud Kitchen. Also, try Brigitte’s take on pumpkin for dessert with her Spiced Pumpkin Mousse Parfaits.
2 cups cubed pumpkin (we use a neck pumpkin, which is similar to a butternut squash and easier to peel and dice than a sugar pumpkin)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
6 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons butter
3 shallots or ½ onion, finely diced
1½ cups Arborio rice
1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for topping
1 cup fresh pumpkin puree
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a large baking sheet, toss the pumpkin cubes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
2. To make the risotto, heat the chicken stock in a small saucepan and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat and sauté the shallots or onion until translucent. Add the Arborio rice and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, to coat the rice in the butter.
4. Ladle in the chicken stock to cover the rice—about 2 cups to start. Add the rosemary.
5. Keep the risotto at a simmer and continue to ladle in the hot chicken stock as the rice absorbs it. Cook until the rice has reached the desired doneness—tender but still slightly chewy—and has a nice, creamy consistency (you may not use all the chicken broth).
6. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, pumpkin puree and roasted pumpkin cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Add more chicken stock to thin, if desired, and then top with Parmesan cheese before serving.